Monday, February 08, 2010

Holy shit! Fate might just get me hitched

I am a serious believer in fate or destiny, which isn’t exactly a very good thing cos half the time that gets me lazy, and trust me I don’t need another perfect excuse to convince myself of that. Anyhow this time well fate worked in the right way, or at least I hope it will. If nothing else it at least got me to add another post in my long neglected blog ;). Hmm… well now to the story, as a few of you would know I was off for a wedding this weekend, a wedding of one of my closest buddy I even call it a landmark wedding, cos thanks to this one step of hers she’s caught the attention of not only my own but the rest of my group’s parents. That it was a green signal for future wedding bells is an understatement. Well although that was the story I had intended to write about, this post isn’t for that (believe me I would exactly call fate positive I that case).

So here I was all ready to go to the wedding, waiting for this other friend to pick me up from the Delhi airport, when I get a call from her telling me she would be late. Not exactly happy with the prospect of waiting outside, I decided to stick around inside the terminal. And as it would happen, nature decided to have a little fun and called for me. For those who travel solitary, well they would know that it isn’t exactly easy to leave stuff especially with constant reminders about how unattended luggage would be taken away. But alas I was fighting a losing battle for try as I might I could not delay the inevitable. Now with that in mind I searched for the perfect prey, someone who could wait without being fussy about just how long I would take and someone, well, “respectable” enough, if you know what I mean. I thus zeroed upon this lady sitting a row in front of me, she seemed to have matched the criteria. So I went about my business, in a rush of course, you really can’t trust too much you see it isn’t right. Well I was in luck the luggage was in one piece and the lady was all smiles, thank the lord for that. And here is when the fates decided to make an entrance, as I was walking towards my luggage another woman smiles at me and says “same thing” and points her luggage. Empathizing with her situation I obliged.

Now on a usual course of things, people you meet once at the airport you don’t imagine to meet again. Well let’s just say this time was an exception. Having done with the wedding and all its craziness, I was all set to get back to college. And then I see her again, not only had she travelled back to Hyderabad in the same flight with me for the second time, she even took the same bus from the airport, talk about coincidence! Well that should have been enough, or so I thought. She then of course became my best friend for the journey, we had a talk and it turned out she too wanted to get back to studies and apply for a masters in English (for the benefit of those who don’t know, I too was working before I decided to get back to studies and am now doing the very course of my current best friend’s dreams). So let’s say I was a messiah for her, and helped her know that even though she has been working for the last 5 years, and even though she has never done English Lit. her whole life, all isn’t lost for her. Now for someone who has wanted to go back to studies after such a long time, it isn’t easy. For one thing they have been so accustomed to the corporate world that opting to get back to a student life isn’t an easy transition. And even if they manage that there aren’t many colleges willing to take them in. Fortunately for her, this college of mine has all the answers to her problem and more. And so I went on and on praising my college, bragging about how it would be just the thing for her and how she wouldn’t find a better place to go to (damn EFLU admin folks in case your reading this pls consider this as an application for an amateur PR job, freelance ofcourse ;) !). So thus I managed to catch her attention, and did my good deed of the day.

What was in it for me?? Well apart from managing to write this post, talking to her, I managed to extract an advice I may have had in my mind a long time back but never was quite conscious of. I have been looking for a freelance job for some time now. Having had my share of fun time as a student in the first semester I think it’s time to earn a little pocket money for myself. And although I got a lot of offers unfortunately they were all for a full time job. I mentioned as much to my friend in the bus and that’s when I was shown light, no she did not offer me a job and neither did she give me any numbers of people who could do that, she simply made a statement, “have you thought of approaching your old employers?.” Silly as it may seem to you but I never did so till now. It was so brilliant, so simple. I am not saying that my old employers are waiting with open arms for me to come back to them, but I do know that I have a far better chance going that route than through any jobsite (yes I refuse to use names here in case someone plans to sue me).

So here I wrap up my post, having tagged my ex-boss and the remaining troupe of toi.com, please consider this an informal application. Nilanjana maam, I hope you would not find this too audacious, I simply thought this would be a way to ask you if you think I still have it in me to write. And this goes for the others also. As I said in the topic I “may” get hitched. Well this may not be the most traditional way, and I may just not get a job, but I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Cheers!!

8 comments:

Pesto Sauce said...

Cool...how you get job offers by chancee encounters. I too have got interview calls by sheer luck

LONE WOLF said...

wow aashi u made a boring discussion on how to hget job n dat 2 such a boaring job like PR very intresting :D :P

newys a gr8 read :D

Unknown said...

hahha...im sure you wud gt hitched soon!! ;)

Hoppy said...

i hope u do get dat job aachiiiii
:)

Purba said...

Am glad you changed a life with your sweet deed. And remember Aashi, what ever happens, happens for the best:)

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Nice post !

magiceye said...

well narrated!
best wishes!

banti said...

-Good piece of information.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...